American Cornbread Recipe (UK)
Our American Cornbread recipe is super easy and results in fluffy, sweet, moreish delicious American cornbread. It is a no-fail recipe handed down over many generations.
American Cornbread is perfect with pulled pork, chilli or the base of our Cornbread Stuffing Muffins. On its own, warm from the oven, covered butter and honey it is a scrummy treat! Try it with our sweet honey butter.
How to Make American Cornbread
Granny would call the results of this American cornbread recipe either “Johnny Cake” or “hoecake”. Hoecake, according to Wikipedia, is “is fried cornmeal gruel, which is made from yellow or white cornmeal mixed with salt and hot water or milk, and sometimes sweetened”. Our version is much more appealing than that description!
Click to buy our favourite cornmeal, Natco.
Traditionally, American Cornbread is made in a cast-iron pan (like this one) but we like to make ours into muffins. Mostly, for portion control. A whole pan of cornbread can quickly disappear and muffins can be easily counted so we know to stop at two (or three).
American Cornbread & Honey
American Cornbread with honey is such a treat. Even more, now that we found the Honeymakers in Oxfordshire. We gobbled up this batch of cornbread with their Cotswold Sweet Clover Honey which is so delicious!
American Buttermilk Cornbread
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 125 grams butter softened
- 160 grams sugar caster
- 2 eggs
- 284 ml buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 175 grams cornmeal NOT polenta
- 175 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease the baking tin.
- In KitchenAid mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda in a separate bowl. It will react and puff up so make sure there is plenty of room in the bowl. Stir into the batter.
- Fold in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended. Pour batter into the prepared tin(s).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. The timing will depend on the size of your baking tin.
- Serve plain with chilli or pulled pork. Serve with fresh butter and Honeymakers honey for a brilliant side dish for spicy meals or just on its own with a cuppa.