American Baked Oats Recipe
American baked oats (also referred to as baked oatmeal) made up as muffins make a speedy breakfast.
Good porridge takes time which is sometimes that is in short supply in the morning. I whip up a batch of these baked oats on Sunday and then during the week just reheat and eat. Two minutes to a healthy breakfast.
I use an overripe banana instead of oil or butter in this baked oatmeal recipe. It keeps the fat content down. I always have a stash of peeled, overripe bananas in the freezer for baked oatmeal and smoothies. Also, I have cut the sugar back in the recipe because I add a dollop of maple syrup before digging in.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 15 grams dark brown muscovado sugar
- 150 ml milk semi-skimmed
- 100 grams banana overripe, mashed
- 150 grams oats preferably rolled oats
- maple syrup to serve
- Prep a 6 muffin tin with non-stick spray
- Heat oven to 180C (fan)
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Stir in mashed banana, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Stir in milk.
- Add oats, baking powder and salt.
- Stir together until combined.
- Spoon into muffin cups (all the way to the top)
- Bake for 20 minutes until brown.
- To serve, put a muffin cup in a bowl and top with yoghurt, fruit and maple syrup.
- To reheat, put a muffin in a microwavable dish, add two tablespoons of milk and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Break up muffin into the milk by stirring and heat another 1 minute until piping hot. Top with fruit.
- Also delicious cold as a muffin.