Tangy Tomato Salad Dressing (American Western Dressing)
This salad dressing is referred to as “Western” in the USA so I really had trouble coming up with a name for the UK. Tangy Tomato with its alliteration makes it a fun title and accurately reflects the taste. Whatever you prefer to call it, is fine. It is a treat that makes your summer salads zing.
Tangy Tomato Partners
Tangy Tomato Salad Dressing is so simple to make – store cupboard ingredients that when combined produce something totally new. Our favourite use for this dressing is to accompany our Southern Fried Chicken in a simple salad of leaves, garden tomatoes and red peppers. Add cucumber and red onion if you wish. Tangy Tomato can also be a dip for fresh, raw vegetables. Store in sterilised leftover jam jars in the fridge.
Tangy Tomato Salad Dressing
- 200 ml Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil or other good quality salad oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce we used Kikkoman
- 50 grams light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey runny honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper more if you like it spicy
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, olive oil, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Stir in the honey until well incorporated in the dressing.
- Tip in all of the remaining ingredients, stir and taste. You may want a bit more heat (add cayenne) or sweet (add honey) or salt (add Maldon Sea Salt or more soy sauce).
- Store in a airtight container in the fridge.