Las Vegas Carrot Pancakes
At first, I thought this was a birthday cake but it was just an insanely indulgent breakfast. Only in Vegas! Actually, only at the Hexx restaurant in the Paris Hotel Las Vegas. We had to create a British version of their Carrot Cake Pancakes!
For an extra special Pancake Day, serve these like a layer cake, each layer divided with cream cheese syrup. Dollop some cream cheese syrup in the middle of the top pancake, sprinkle with toasted nuts, grated carrot, orange segments and sultanas then drizzle with maple or cinnamon syrup. Sparklers are optional but not at all out of place. Indulge!
- 200 grams plain flour
- 50 grams whole wheat flour
- 50 grams dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams carrot , grated
- 10 grams orange zest , the zest of one medium orange
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 100 ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Cream Cheese Syrup
- 50 grams Greek Yogurt
- 25 gram cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
Garnish to Serve, quantities as desired
- carrot , grated
- In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
Mix and Cook
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, milk, egg and bicarbonate of soda. Leave aside to bubble up.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to form a batter.
- Stir carrots and orange zest into the batter.
- Heat a greased griddle or non-stick pan on the hob. Pour in the pancake batter about 4 tablespoons per pancake.
- Flip the pancake when bubbles form on top of the pancake. Cook until golden brown.
Cream Cheese Syrup
- For the cream cheese syrup, place cream cheese, powdered sugar, and greek yoghurt in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add a splash of milk until you achieve desired consistency.
- Serve the pancakes stacked like a layer cake, each layer divided with cream cheese syrup.
- Dollop some cream cheese syrup in the middle of the top pancake, sprinkle with toasted nuts, grated carrot and sultanas then drizzle with maple or cinnamon syrup.