Homemade Enchilada Sauce is quick & easy and much better than the stuff from a jar. It can also be made in advance, frozen or stored in the fridge until you are ready to roll and bake your enchiladas.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce is a critical component of our Black Bean Enchiladas. Rolled enchiladas with the sauce can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. Just move to the fridge to thaw when you leave for work and when you come back, pop them in the oven for a hot, healthy, fast dinner. Hot, filling, hearty family food.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cube tomato stock Kallo brand
- 20 grams tomato paste
- 25 grams garlic butter Lurpak
- 20 grams plain flour
- 500 ml water
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt the garlic butter on low heat.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of flour and using a baby wire whisk, whisk into the butter and "cook off" the flour.
- Add tomato paste, stock cube, water, cayenne and parsley.
- Stir constantly until there are no lumps. Increase heat to simmer and simmer for five minutes - always stirring.
- Take off heat and let cool.
- Can be refrigerated or frozen until required. If frozen, thaw before use.