Cauliflower & Red Bean soup resulted from a request to create something that had both beans and turmeric. This is a “dump soup”. I put all of the vegetable ingredients together into one freezer bag so that the only thing required to cook is to pull out a freezer bag and open a can of beans. If you extra freezer space, you can make up four or so “dump bags” in one batch.
Soup is an excellent choice for easy mid-week meals with leftovers packed into lunch for the next day. The addition of turmeric will help protect you from the “office cold” and keep you warm in winter.
Cauliflower & Red Bean Soup
- 500 grams cauliflower frozen
- 250 grams spinach frozen, chopped spinach
- 200 grams onions frozen, diced
- 50 grams garlic frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cube kallo garlic and herb stock cube
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 400 gram kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 500 ml water
- In a large, non-stick pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat
- Tip in all of the frozen vegetables. Cover and cook on low for about 15 minutes until the vegetables have thawed.
- Turn heat up to medium-high, add spices and stir and cook until the vegetables gain a little bit of colour.
- Add just enough water to cover the vegetables (about 500 ml) and the two stock cubes.
- Bring to simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- With a ladle, remove some of the vegetables and reserve.
- With a stick blender, blend the remaining contents of the pan.
- Add in reserved vegetables and kidney beans.
- Heat through.
- Serve with a few sprigs of coriander if desired.