Same recipe but two different finishes. Roll and cut these out to make heart jam sandwich biscuits which are great for Valentine’s or wedding and baby gifts. You can also roll the dough into balls and use your thumb to make an indent. Fill the indent with jam and bake.
American Thumbprint Cookies
- 125 grams butter
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 jar jam your choice but seedless raspberry is brilliant
Make The Dough
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift together salt, baking powder and flour. Stir into the wet mixture.
- Chill dough for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface.
- Cut out two circles with cookie cutters.
- Cut a heart in the centre of one of the circles.
- Bake at 180 C on cookie sheet until golden.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Sandwich cookies together with jam of your choice.
- Roll chilled dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place the dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Using your thumb, put a dent in each ball.
- Using a teaspoon, drop a bit of jam in each dough dent.
- Bake at 180 C until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.