The Great British Bake Off
The Great British Bake Off for 2018 started on 28 August. Biscuit Week is my personal favourite. The Signature Challenge was to make a biscuit about themselves and the British Isles. The look of Briony’s Apple Cider Biscuits made me drool.
The #GBBOTwitterBakeAlong is also back and for Biscuit Week, we chose to make shortbread biscuits because biscuits and a cuppa are one of the things we cherish about Britain. Whether Scottish or Cornish or Shrewsbury or what other regional spins these little balls of butter, flour and sugar are a delight.
Maple Walnut Shortbread Biscuits
We’ve put a North American spin on the classic shortbread biscuit recipe by using California walnuts and pure Canadian Maple Syrup. Since both our British and American heritage is represented, it brings a bit of personalisation to the recipe.
Decorated Shortbread Biscuits
Yes, of course, biscuits (and all food) is supposed to be beautiful to look at as well as taste delicious but not all of us have the talent or patience to be precise. We’ve iced our shortbread biscuits numerous ways depending on how much you want to impress. All of them are ready to be scoffed down with a glass of cold milk, hot coffee or cuppa.
Shortbread Biscuits with Maple Walnut Icing
- 125 grams butter cubed and soft
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams plain flour We used Matthews Cotswold Maizebite Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Icing & Decorating
- 25 grams butter very soft
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 150 grams icing sugar
- 50 grams walnuts chopped or whole
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the wet mix.
- Bring dough together.
- Shape into a ball and cover with cling film.
- Refrigerate and rest the dough for at least 4 hours.
- Roll out dough on floured surface until uniform thickness.
- Cut out shapes desired and place on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 170C fan for 10 – 12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from tray and let cool on wire rack. Cool completely before icing.
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and maple syrup.
- Add icing sugar to desired consistency.
- Once biscuits are cool, ice and decorate them as desired.