Candy Cane Cookies are super fun if you have little ones to help with the rolling out and shaping. It is like play dough and baking combined! The peppermint gives a bit of bite. Perfect with hot chocolate or coffee.
American Candy Cane Cookies
- 200 grams sugar caster
- 125 grams butter Lurpak
- 100 ml milk semi-skimmed, whole preferred
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 525 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- food colouring red
- Using a Kitchenaid mixer (or large bowl and wooden spoon), cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in milk, egg, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt.
- Divide dough in half and tint one half with red food colouring.
- Cover both doughs and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- For each cookie, roll 1 teaspoon of each dough into a 4 inch rope.
- Place one red and one white rope side by side and press them firmly together
- Twist the dough to make a candy cane.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and make a hook at the top of the candy cane.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes per batch at 175 C until set.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.