Picnic, Lunch and BBQ
Halloumi Squash Salad marries roast squash, salty halloumi and cool mint yogurt sauce into a delicious, satisfying and portable salad.
The roast butternut squash is sweet and satisfying on lemon couscous. The fresh herbs make this salad light and aromatic. Scale up / down depending on your needs. In the summer, we make a BBQ Veggie version. Both of these couscous salads are staples in our picnic and pack lunch rotation.
Food and laughter are the best medicine! My friend had been poorly so we packed up this salad and a few more as a picnic, took up a spot in the hospital canteen and had ourselves some proper vegetarian, healthy food. She was so hungry, she asked for seconds and then thirds! The pink tablecloth was my Mum’s idea as a way to brighten the spirit of the hospital. We had such a good chat, laugh and food. It was the best day.
Serve A Buffet
Many of our recipes are meant to be served buffet style. I love a well-presented plate but I also love the feel good vibe when everyone is digging in and piling up heaps of food on their plate and dishes are passed around a table. It makes me grateful that I live in a land of abundance and joy as opposed to scarcity and rationing.
Halloumi Squash Salad
- 250 grams halloumi sliced into 6 - 8 slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 100 grams couscous
- 100 ml water boiling
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- 30 grams rocket
- 30 grams coriander
Roast Butternut Squash
- 400 grams butternut squash cubed
- 2 medium red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Mint Yogurt Sauce
- 1 batch Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Drain and slice the halloumi.
- Leave to dry on kitchen roll.
- Heat oil in a shallow fry pan to very hot.
- Fry halloumi on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen roll and set aside.
- Place couscous in large bowl.
- Pour over the boiling water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place the squash, onion, olive oil and spices in a roasting tin.
- Toss to coat the vegetables.
- Roast at 180C (fan) until cooked through and slightly charred. Turn vegetables at least once during roasting to ensure even cooking.
Mix the Couscous Dressing
- Place all of the ingredients into a container or bowl.
- Using a hand blender, blend them into a puree.
Finish the Couscous
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Add the couscous dressing and a pinch of salt.
- Stir dressing thoroughly into the couscous.
Plate or Pack
- Pile the couscous onto serving plates or portable containers.
- Layer on the roast vegetables.
- Top with slices of Halloumi.
- Pack the Yogurt Sauce separately and spoon on just before eating.