I use mild padron peppers for my jalapeño poppers. I’ve made them both deep fried and in the oven. Deep fried is messy but taste fantastic. Oven fried is easy clean up. You choose!
- 130g padron peppers, tops chopped off and seeds removed
- 100g cream cheese
- 25g parmesan cheese
- dried basil, dried parsley, garlic salt to taste
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 500 ml vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Deep Fried Method
- Mix the cream cheese with the parmesan cheese and spices.
- Carefully stuff the mixture into the peppers
- Heat the oil to 160 C
- Dip the peppers in flour, then egg then breadcrumbs – twice to make a thick coating.
- Deep fry about two minutes on each side.
- Remove with slotted spoon and stack on kitchen paper to drain the excess oil.
- Eat when a bit cooled.
Oven Fried Method
- (You won’t need the egg, flour or as much vegetable oil)
- Mix the cream cheese and spices
- Cut the peppers in half and stuff with cream cheese
- Place on baking sheet
- Bake at 200C for 10 minutes
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan with 1 tablespoon of oil
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on the peppers
- Return to oven and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden brown