Cuban Rice and Beans Recipe
We serve Cherry Coke Ham with this Cuban black beans and rice recipe plus pineapple salsa. This recipe is a very simple to stir up to accompany the sweetness of the ham and the heat of the salsa.
Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Do not skip the pineapple salsa. It adds a refreshing zing to this dish. We had only habanero chilli when we made ours so we used the smallest sliver possible. It was so small we couldn’t even photograph it. Choose whatever type of fresh chilli and an amount of it that suits your own taste. Fresh coriander is a must!
I love this recipe because it makes a whole meal and you can wash up as you go along. Here is my cooking plan:
- Get the ham going
- Make the glaze and pineapple salsa
- Cook the rice (keep it warm)
- Drain the beans and set aside
- Do dishes, set the table, get drinks ready for guests – that kind of thing
- When ham is resting, fry up the rice & beans
Cuban Black Beans, Rice & Pineapple Salsa
Cuban Rice & Beans
- 200 grams cooked short brown rice using package instructions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 can black beans 425g, drained & rinsed
- 435 grams crushed pineapple
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 handful coriander fresh, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 small chili adjust heat to your taste
Cuban Rice & Beans
- In a large frying pan, add oil and garlic and fry on low until fragrant.
- Add red onion and cook until onion is translucent.
- Tip in beans and rice. Give it a good stir. Heat the beans and rice until warm. Do not stir too much or your beans will fall apart.
- Season to taste.
- Drain the pineapple (if making this with our Cherry Coke Ham, reserve the juice for the ham glaze).
- In a small bowl, combine the crushed pineapple with the chili, coriander and spring onion. Stir to gently mix the ingredients.
- Set the salsa aside for the flavours to infuse for at least three hours. Serve at room temperature.