Our Broccoli Soup tastes creamy but is dairy-free and doesn’t use any dairy alternatives. How? We add a floury potato and boil it down to give the soup texture but keep the fat content low.
- 1 medium potato king edward or desiree is best, cubed
- 1 kilo broccoli frozen
- 2 cubes vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- 3 spring onions cleaned and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on low.
- Add the spring onion and soften for about 5 minutes.
- Add the potato (no need to skin it - just dice or cube and toss it in)
- Add frozen broccoli straight from the freezer - no need to thaw.
- Add about 500 ml water. Just enough to barely cover the vegetables.
- Pop a lid on the pan and bring the heat up to high.
- Make sure the soup doesn't boil over and leave on medium - high heat for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are mushy.
- Stir the two stock cubes into the soup.
- Pour into a blender or using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Serve as is or you can dress this up by adding a slice of garlic toast, a swirl of garlic oil or a small dollop of sour cream.