Slice and bake Date Pinwheels have a bit more of an adult taste. Sweet but not sugary. Great for afternoon tea and practicing your #GBBO perfect swirl.
American Date Pinwheel Cookies
- 220 grams pineapple crushed, drained, Del Monte preferred
- 220 grams dates chopped
- 50 grams almonds chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract divided
- 75 grams butter
- 100 grams light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 350 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, mix the pineapple and dates. Cook, stirring until dates soften and the mixture thickens.
- Stir in almonds and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Cover and thoroughly chill the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Cover and chill dough for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Remove both the dough and dates from the fridge.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment until a 18x10 inch rectangle.
- Spread the date filling on the dough and roll up like a swiss roll. (Get the good swirl like Mary Barry.)
- Cover and chill a minimum of three hours, preferably overnight.
- Slice and bake on greaseproof paper at 170 C until golden (about 10 minutes).
- Cool on wire rack and store in airtight container.