American BBQ Sauce Recipe
Sweet, spicy, moreish BBQ sauce. The perfect BBQ Sauce should first be sweet, then a little tangy.
Servings: 2 litres of sauce
- 15 grams garlic butter Lurpak
- 1 medium shallot finely minced
- 50 grams dark brown muscovado sugar
- 570 ml Heinz Tomato Ketchup "It Has to Be Heinz"
- 300 grams treacle
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
In a large soup pot, melt the garlic butter on low.
Add the shallot. Cover and let the shallot sweat on low for about 15 minutes. Check often to make sure it doesn't catch and burn.
Add the dark brown sugar and stir until there are no lumps
Constantly stir and add the rest of the ingredients one at a time to make sure they all stir in.
Turn the heat up to medium and constantly stir.
Taste - adjust treacle (sweet and smokey), brown sugar (sweet), cayenne pepper (heat), vinegar (tangy) - as needed.
DO NOT BOIL. Cook sauce on medium for 20 or 30 minutes to thicken. The sauce should coat the back of a spoon.
Decant into sanitised Kilner Bottles and keep in fridge for up to a month (no chance it will last that long!)