Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
Sweet, tart, buttery and soft Lemon Drizzle Cake. Perfect for afternoon tea and Easter as a refreshing, light dessert.
- 225 grams butter , Lurpak, unsalted, room temperature
- 225 grams sugar , caster
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 215 grams plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 medium lemon , zest only - reserve juice for syrup
- 85 g sugar , caster
- 2 and 1/2 unwaxed lemons , juiced
- 10 g mint , minced (optional)
- KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer
- 2 small Loaf Tins , greased and lined with baking parchment
Prepare the loaf tins and heat oven to 175C (fan).
In a standmixer, add the soft butter and cream together with the sugar on low speed.
Add the eggs, one at a time and incorporate each egg fully before adding the next egg.
In a small bowl, sift the plain flour and baking powered together.
Add the flour mixture, slowly, one tablespoon at a time and combine into the cake batter.
Fold in the zest of one lemon.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until a skewer in the middle comes out clean.
(I tested mine too early and the cake fell.)
When the cakes are still warm, poke holes in the cake with the skewer.
Pour the syrup over the cakes and let them cool completely.